Thursday, February 18, 2010

The CCFA

So while I'm getting ready to head into some serious training for my first-ever half-marathon, the big reason why I'm doing this is because of the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA). The CCFA played a big role in my life when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's disease in November 2008. Not only were all the resources that I ever needed about the disease or my medication readily available to me, but there was also a forum where I could post any and all questions that I had. Thanks to the CCFA, I've never felt alone in my battle with Crohn's.


The CCFA has played a major role in funding the best Crohn's and colitis related research going on today. To date, the Foundation has raised more than $136 million to directly fund successful, ongoing research. That's a lot of dough that's been put to good use. The Foundation invests all of the dollars they raise wisely, funding the absolute best research anywhere in the world and implementing a peer-review process that insures only the most promising and relevant grant applications are funded. They've shown great success in the past and have even helped to accelerate the discovery of NOD2, a gene involved directly in Crohn's disease, as well as the development of new drug therapies. You can learn more about the CCFA's ongoing role in Crohn's and colitis research by clicking here.

All in all, the CCFA is truly one of the greatest organizations that I've ever come across. I'm on their website regularly, to learn about ongoing research as well as answering some questions of newly diagnosed patients in their forums. Even after over a year of living with Crohn's, I'm still asking the occasional question or two because I'm still learning about how to live with the disease. And I can honestly say that I just couldn't do it without the Foundation being there to teach me and guide me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment