Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recovery

Yup, I know. I know I haven't posted in, well, forever and a day. So I thought that now since I've caught up on a bunch of things I postponed until "after the MCAT" that I'd make a post and update you all on everything.

Well, the big news is that I decided to go ahead and take this past week off from running. While it's not exactly the greatest thing in the world to take a week off from running while training for a half-marathon, I know I need to let my body heal before things progress and get worse. I don't know if being on prednisone since January has anything to do with my knee and/or my Achilles, but the good news is that I'm almost half-way done with my taper and should be off the prednisone completely in just a few weeks. I'm so excited to be off that stuff, you have no idea.

Regardless about the prednisone issue, I have to say that I've been really good about trying to recover as fast as possible. I've been icing both my knee and my ankle consistently now, twice a day everyday, and I'm feeling like I'm back to normal again. But I'm still going to skip out on the 5-mile race coming up this weekend. It'd be pretty silly of me to go directly from being injured to running a long-distance race without any kind of running in between. So all in all I won't be racing on Sunday. I'm going to look into finding another race of some sort between now and the half-marathon in June. Preferably I'd like to find a 10k or a 5-mile race. I think with a 10k I could get an accurate feel for how to pace myself during the actual half-marathon, which would definitely be beneficial for me because I've never run a half-marathon before. But for right now I need to focus on getting better and getting back in the game.

But just because I'm not running this week doesn't mean that I'm not training. I started myself on a new weight lifting program, and to be honest it is absolutely kicking my ass. I love it. I've also been doing some knee strengthening exercises and calf exercises to help get my knees and Achilles stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment