Saturday, March 6, 2010

First run with Team Challenge New England!

I had my first group run with Team New England bright and early this morning up in Lexington. It's absolutely beautiful outside, so there was no better way to greet the morning sun with a nice little 40-minute light run. I mean it's BEAUTIFUL outside. We've had rain and snow all week long and now it's bright, sunny, and (get this) warm.

I was a little worried about going today, and I was even thinking of skipping out. I've been having trouble getting over this past relapse, and I'm back up to 40mg of prednisone a day again. I'm kind of bummed about prolonging my time on prednisone, but frankly I just want to be feeling better again. It sucks waking up several times in the middle of the night in pain and having to run to the bathroom. But I figured that I always feel pretty good in the mornings, so what the hell, I'll give it a shot.

I hitched a ride from the awesome Adriana, one of the mentors for Team Challenge. In a word she's great. All of the people that I've met on Team Challenge are great. Everyone is running the race for a reason, whether it be that they themselves have Crohn's or colitis and want to prove something to themselves, or they know someone close who suffers from one of the diseases and they just want to help. It was comforting being around people who totally understand where I'm coming from and what it's like going through a flare-up, but at the same time it's also humbling to see people running who have ostomy bags. But it really hit home with me today that we really are a team in this together. Nothing matters more than the fact that we're all in this to beat Crohn's and colitis. There's nothing but positive attitude and commitment throughout the team, and I can't wait to cross that finish line in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment