Sunday, March 14, 2010

The future is looking bright... and warm

I'm really starting to get back to feeling "normal" again, which is awesome because I hate being on prednisone. The stuff makes me so thirsty all the time. I think it's funny though how our one dog Jiggs gets prednisone for his allergies and we both get the same side effect. We're both thirsty all the time. Go figure. Anyway, I'm hoping that I'll be able to start tapering off the prednisone soon, but I know I have to be careful because I need to be fully in remission before I start to taper again. Luckily I'm not waking up in pain anymore or running to get to the bathroom, which is always a relief. But still, I just want this flare to be over!

Spring is officially rolling its way in up here in good ol' Boston, although right now that means some serious rainfall. Luckily we were able to get in a decent team run Saturday morning before the worst of the storm started to strike. It's not that I mind running in the rain, and in the summer when it's sweltering hot outside I actually enjoy it. (Plus there's that post-rain smell you get in the summer that's just delicious.) But when it's cold and I'm wet, I can be pretty miserable. I've already put my time in on the icy Charles River back when rowing for BC, and I think I deserve the right to say that I'm not a fan of the wet and cold.

The run with the rest of the Team Challenge New Englanders was awesome. I've never really gotten out to run anywhere around Boston other than the Brighton area and the reservoir (aka "the res"). I really need to get on that, especially with the nice paths along the Charles River right in my backyard. But anyway, I actually really liked running around in Southie along Carson Beach. I always love running along the water, which maybe is why I don't exactly hate running multiple 1.5-mile loops around the res every now and then. It's scenic, and in the morning I can catch the sunrise come up over the Prudential and John Hancock buildings. It's a pleasant sight, which is why catching the sunrise is always a little motivation for me to get out of bed in the morning and get running. Yes, I actually enjoy catching the sunrise. I know it's a little crazy because most people always try and catch just a little more sleep, but I'd rather sacrifice a little shut-eye to witness something only a small handful of other runners, walkers, and cyclists catch in the morning. I'll try and grab a picture sometime in the near future and post it. It's a gorgeous site, but right now the rain and clouds are preventing that from happening. In the meantime, this is a picture in fall of 2008 down on the Charles.

Sunrises are underrated.

But anyway, I've just checked the weather outlook for the upcoming future, and I'm seeing temperatures in the 50s! Yes! I'm pumped. I love that kind of weather. It's not too hot, not too cold. In fact it's just right. Unfortunately, I do most of my runs in the mornings, so I'll still be running when it's in the 30s or low 40s. But I'm totally fine with that because those temperatures still beat the 10s and 20s of the not-so-distant past.

No comments:

Post a Comment