Saturday, March 6, 2010

Relapse is back in full force

Relapse. Yup, it definitely sucks. I was coming down from my flare in January, and I was doing fine. However, when I was tapering off the prednisone I guess I wasn't totally in remission like I thought I was because recently I've had all the typical symptoms again and the pain is excruciating. I'm waking up several times a night in crippling pain, and during the day I find myself momentarily paralyzed at irregular intervals. I have to plan doing things like running to the grocery store down the street around whether or not I think I'll need to use a bathroom before I get back. It's annoying, to say the least, but for me it's just a way of life right now.

As of right now I'm back to my starting dose of prednisone, on a super-bland diet of bananas, applesauce, and toast, but I figure I'll also eat some eggs and maybe some chicken to just get some kind of protein source. I really need to try not to lose too much weight (again). It sucks because I know I need to eat because my body needs the calories, but when I eat it hurts as the food passes through my system. I mean, it hurts incredibly, horribly bad. When the pain comes all I can do is try and get in a comfortable position and wait the 5-10 minutes until everything calms down and the pain goes away. But it's impossible to predict when the pain is coming again or when I'll need to sprint for the bathroom.

I'm hoping that the prednisone starts taking its effect soon and that I'll be feeling better in the morning. I just wish that it would all go away overnight and that I'd be fine in the morning, but I know it's going to take longer than that and that I'll just have to wait. That's all I can really do right now - just wait. I just hope that it will all be over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment