Wednesday, March 10, 2010

On my way to remission and back to running!

So I went back up to 40mg/day of prednisone for the indefinite future. I'm feeling so much better it's not even funny. I had to take a sick day this past Monday because I knew I would have been absolutely miserable if I had gone into work, but that one day of good ol' rest and relaxation really helped me out. No more waking up in the middle of the night in pain and running for the bathroom. I'm still keeping the bland diet and avoiding fiber at all costs. But I'm just glad I'm on the road back to remission. I just need to be careful not to taper off the prednisone too fast and to actually be confident that I'm fully in remission before I start tapering. It's a little tricky, but I think I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing this time around.

But the good news is I'm running! I just got my new shoes in the mail, and I love them. I tried them out for the first time just recently, and within the first few steps I yelled out, "OH MY GOD THESE SHOES ARE AMAZING!" The lady walking her dog thought I was nuts. But they're like running with pillows on my feet compared to my older pair. Mmm, nothing like new running shoes. I was running in an older pair of New Balance 1062's, and they did their job. But I decided to upgrade to the newer model, the 1063's. Sure, they're an older model (New Balance came out with the 1064 just recently), but I don't exactly feel like shelling out $125 for a pair of shoes that will last me around 3 months or less. I have to turn them over after around 500 miles or so, depending on how they hold up, which could be in about 2-3 months. If I really like these shoes after a week or so, I'll go ahead and buy another pair and break those in so I can easily transition from my first pair into my second pair.

This weekend will be my second group run with Team Challenge! I'm pumped. Last week was a lot of fun, and this week we'll be running in Southie around Carson Beach. I have to say it's really nice getting out of Brighton to go for a run somewhere other than around the Reservoir, down Beacon Street, or up Comm Ave. I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment